Thursday, July 10, 2014

All the Monkeys in the Circus

Not my circus; not my monkeys.

Well, this is one way of saying "I refuse to be dragged into your drama."

And certainly, it's a good plan to protect yourself and your feelings from those around you who seem to constantly create drama...those busy souls who live from crisis to crisis. After awhile, the nerves just won't take any more. And so you back off and create some distance and try to maintain a more calm existence for yourself. Truly, in many instances that's a healthier way to live.

But there are circuses and monkeys that do belong to me. And my feelings get stirred up and I feel bad and have great concern for my monkeys. That would be my immediate family and closest friends. Let trouble touch my husband, my kids and their families, my brother and his family...and I get really protective of my monkeys. 

I was thinking about this the other day because I was concerned about one of my monkeys. The stress of life was just falling off the edges of his plate like sloppy mashed potatoes and gravy and my innards were a mess of concern. It truly hurts to see those close to you have heavy issues. That's when I realized what a good analogy this is for how Jesus feels about us. Jesus is our brother. The feelings we have for each other are just a taste of the feelings he has for us. This is his circus and we are his monkeys. And he cares for each one of us. 

Romans 8:16 & 17 says this: The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

While we may find it necessary to distance ourselves from some of the people we know - because they truly are not our monkeys and their overly-dramatic lives are not our "circus," - we can be sure that the One who matters most will never distance himself from us, no matter how insane our drama becomes. Scripture tells us the Spirit prays for us with groanings that are too deep for us to hear. Constantly. I have to remind myself of this all the time. As Babbie Mason sings, "Your heavenly Father will be up all night." We are so cared for and we all too often don't remember it.

Feel the breeze: So the next time you find yourself tied in knots because of someone else's drama, even those near and dear to you, stop and think. Jesus is your brother. Your brother wants the best for you. Your brother is praying for you.

It's His circus. You are His monkey.